Homemade bath salts are one of the best ways to indulge in a great DIY Project. This can be one of the most interesting things to do with your kids on your vacation as well. If you are wondering about how to make bath salts, then this is the perfect article for you.
The best way to end a stressful day is to take a long bath infused with herbal bath salts. Another reason to take a long bath with bath salts is to release tension and stress after a long day at work. In addition to that, adding salts rich in minerals can also help in reducing pain and suffering. It also helps in promoting detoxification and helps in rejuvenating the skin.
There are many people who love to make bath salts but are not sure about the process. For anyone facing the same issue, this article is going to be your best friend. Here we will cover all the tips and tricks that are required for baking bath salts. Make sure to read the article till the end.
1. Benefits of Using Homemade Bath Salts
There are a lot of benefits of bath salts apart from staying away from chemicals. Bath salts can be one of the most beautiful gifting options for your close ones. Giving them a gift that will help them in reducing their stress and take the tension away is amazing. Your friends and family are going to thank you for that.
DIY bath salts are inexpensive. This is one of the best reasons to invest in a DIY bath salt. Let us look at some of the best reasons for making homemade bath salt.
- Inexpensive – The best reason so far for using bath salt is because of its cost-effective nature. The ingredients are not so pricy and you can easily make more than one bath of salt.
- Soothing – While making homemade bath salts, you can also ease your muscle tension. The Epsom that is present in the bath salts helps in releasing tension and stress in the muscles. You can also add sea salt and baking soda to your bath salt. This will also help in making your bath more pleasant.
- Organic – You can avoid the chemicals as much as possible wherever you are making your bath salt at home. Avoid adding artificial colours and chemicals to your bath salt. This will make it more healthy and safe to use.
- Beautiful – Keeping the bath salts in a glass jar will make it look very decorative. You can use it for both decorating your bathrooms and also using it for your personal use.
- Great gifting option – Making a DIY bath slat is one of the best gifts to give to your close ones. You can make them their favourite customizable bath salt and they are surely going to love it.
2. Ingredients Required for Making a Homemade Bath Salt
Some of the ingredients are very essential for making a homemade bath salt. Some of them are mentioned here. You can also choose and customize the ingredients according to your preference.
When people often ask the question, about how to make bath salts, they do mention their concern about the ingredients. To solve this problem, we have created a list of some of the most important ingredients required for making bath salts.
2.1. Epsom Salt
Epsom Salt is one of the main ingredients required for making homemade bath salt. Another name for Epsom Salt is Magnesium Sulphate. The main reason for using it in making bath salt is that it dissolves in water very nicely. On immersion in water, this magnesium sulphate tends to release sulphate and magnesium ions. These ions are then absorbed into the skin. The absorption of these ions helps in reducing stress and relieving tension in the human body.
There is no scientific study to prove this theory but this has been believed for a long time. Today, a lot of people use bath salts for their ability to boost their mental. It is known to help the body in releasing oxytocin which is known as the happy hormone. This hormone further helps in lifting our mood and keeping us happy and going.
2.2. Coarse Sea Salt
Coarse sea salt is referred to as one of the best additions to bath salt. You should definitely use the coarse sea salt if you are someone who does not like the salt falling at the bottom of the jar. Adding sea salt to your bath salt helps it to float on the surface of the water. This experience makes bathing even more pleasant.
There is no specific scientific study to support the fact that coarse sea salts help in making bath salts. But just like the Epsom salt, these too have some specialties. Adding coarse sea salt to your DIY bath salts will make your bathing experience something more luxurious.
2.3. Baking Soda
Another important addition to the bath salts is baking soda. Baking soda has a lot of specialties when it comes to bath salts. Adding baking soda to your bath salts will help your skin in absorbing the goodness of oils. Please do not get confused between baking soda and baking powder. We are talking about baking soda here.
This inexpensive investment in your bath salt will help you soak in all the goodness of the salts in your body.
2.4. Essential Oils
This is one of the most exciting parts of making bath salt. You will get to add the essential oils of your choice unlike the ones available in the market. When you add the essential oil of your choice, you get to enjoy the soothing sensation of your choice.
You can select your favourite essential oil or even mix and match a few. This will help you in achieving your desired fragrance. Some of the commonly used essential oils are lavender, rosemary, and sweet orange.
Essential oils are easily available in the market. You can bring the ones of your choice and enjoy your bath.
2.5. Nourishing Skin Oil (Optional)
This is a fun part too. Adding nourishing skin oils is the best f you want your bath salt to have nourishing properties. These oils not only help you in relaxing your muscles but also add nutrition to your skin.
In addition, this will also save you from the time and hassle of applying your moisturizer post your shower routine. But one important thing to keep in mind is that adding oils can contribute to deducting the shelf life. This is because infusing oil in a substance increases its chances of getting damaged.
So please make sure to use your bath salt within a few days after making it. This will not only help in using the whole product but will also ensure a pleasing bath every day. Using the bath salts within three months is suggested after using oils.
2.6. Dried Flowers (Optional)
You can also add dried flowers if you love them in your bath salts. This will help in enhancing the beauty of your bath salts. Adding some tablespoons of dried flowers can also increase the beauty of your bath salt by ten times.
You can use dry rose petals or dried leaves of any flower of your choice.
3. How to Make Bath Salts
The process of making a bath salt can be hectic at times. Make sure that you are using the right proportion of ingredients. Only then your bath slat will turn out to be according to your expectation. Here we will be solving your query on how to make bath salts.
Make sure to store it in a cool and dry place after you are done making the bath salt. Storing it in hot places might result in the bursting of the glass jar. You can use half a cup or a few tablespoons in every hot bath.
Another step to follow is to make holes in the lid of an air-tight container. Make sure to make a few holes in the lid of the glass jar or air-tight container if you are planning to store it in them. This is because at times the baking soda tends to cause a reaction. It in turn leads to the bursting of the glass jar or the air-tight container.
Here is a detailed instruction on how to make bath salt. The right proportion of ingredients to be used is also mentioned here.
3.1. Proportion of Ingredients
- Half a cup of baking soda
- Half a cup of coarse sea salt
- 3 cups of Epsom salt
- 15-20 drops of your favourite essential oil
- 2-3 tablespoons of nutrition oils. This can preferably be coconut oil or almond oil.
- 3-4 tablespoons of dried flowers. (Optional)
3.2. Instruction to Make Bath Salt
- Take all the ingredients in a large bowl or a mixing container.
- Mix all the ingredients with a spatula or use your clean hands.
- Store it in a mason jar until it is ready to use.
- If you do not have mason jars, you can also store them in plastic or any container that allows airflow.
- Keep it in a cool and dry place for letting it set.
- Use the amount according to your preference for every hot bath.
- Indulge in the goodness of bath salts every time you bathe.
These are everything you need to know about making a bath salt. Also, make sure to follow these processes to indulge in a luxury bathing experience.
Also read: 8 Personal Hygiene Products for Students