Cryptocurrency exchanges have become extensively popular in the last few years since cryptocurrency adoption began to expand. The prime reason crypto exchanges are famous is the wide acceptance of cryptocurrency as a medium for selling and buying digital assets.
Crypto Exchanges give you the best exchange option available to invest and trade in digital currencies with low trading fee structures. Many exchanges have also extended their services to features like margin trading, and futures trading.
Are you looking to buy cryptocurrency in Canada? Canada Hustle is here to let you know about the best crypto exchange Canada for you to choose from.
1. What are Crypto Exchanges?
Almost everyone nowadays is restless to board the cryptocurrency named train but before we dive into the vast ocean of different cryptocurrency exchanges, it is important to understand what exactly crypto exchanges are.
Cryptocurrency exchanges are online platforms that enable users to exchange cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other digital assets. These exchanges act as a mediator between the buyer and the seller to help them in exchanging their cryptocurrencies for other cryptocurrencies.
Apart from acting as a middle-man between buyers and sellers, crypto exchanges also provide a wide range of services and security features that ensures the safekeeping of the user’s funds. some exchanges also support trading pairs with low trading fees.
2. Types of Crypto Exchanges
Crypto exchanges are intermediaries between traders who want to buy, sell or trade their cryptocurrencies. Currently, there are three types of cryptocurrency exchanges available, namely, Centralized exchanges (CEXs), Decentralized exchanges (DEXs), and Hybrid exchanges(HEXs).
To gain a deeper understanding of cryptocurrency exchanges, let’s explore some additional details and insights:
2.1 Centralized Crypto Exchanges:
Centralized crypto exchanges are the most commonly used type of exchange. These are owned and operated by a central authority. CEXs have a smooth and simple interface in which every order is recorded and validated by the company which has control over it. both, crypto-to-crypto exchanges, as well as funds via a bank account to trade crypto exchanges, are offered by CEXs.
One of the best features that are offered by the CEX is the customer support feature. This feature is especially beneficial for those who are new to the world of crypto and do not have much idea about it. Thus for a beginner, CEX appears to be the best crypto exchange method as it does not involve a deep knowledge of blockchain infrastructure.
One teeny-tiny limitation of CEX is that it includes a signup process, which requires you to create an account and verify your identity. This procedure involves sharing of personal data. Apart from that, the exchange also takes the charge of your assets after you’ve deposited them into your CEX account.
2.2 Decentralized Crypto Exchanges:
Unlike a Centralized crypto exchange (CEX), the Decentralized crypto exchange (DEX) does not require any central authority to operate these exchanges. The DEX functions in a peer-to-peer manner and has a complex interface.
A DEX runs through intelligent contracts (code written into a blockchain). The decentralized crypto exchanges don’t ask its user to register or create their accounts, which ensures the safety of users’ data.
So, even though DEX ensures the protection of your data, it is still preferred by those who have gained enough experience in the crypto world. As for beginners, CEX must be their go-to exchange.
2.3 Hybrid Crypto Exchanges:
As the name suggests, Hybrid Exchanges (HEX) combine the properties of both CEXs and DEXs to overcome the challenges and limitations that exist in them. They aim to provide users with the best of both worlds.
Among the various multiple goals that HEX is Known for, one of its major goals was to reduce the high trading fee of DEX, due to this, there are no taker or gas fees in Hybrid Trading.
3. Fees Included in Crypto Exchange in Canada
The exchange fees that are charged in Canada vary by exchange and the type of transaction which is taking place. Some of the common fees which are used are:
3.1 Trading fees:
Trading fees are the most crucial part of cryptocurrency’s fee mechanism. These fees are charged for buying or selling cryptocurrencies on the exchange. the trading fees typically range from 0.1% to 0.5% per trade.
3.2 Deposit and Withdrawal Fees:
Deposit fees are the fees that are charged when you deposit funds into your account on the cryptocurrency exchange. Deposit fees can vary depending on the payment method used, such as bank transfer, credit card, or cryptocurrency.
Some exchanges may not charge any deposit fees at all, while others may charge a flat fee or a percentage of the deposit amount.
Withdrawal fees are the fees that are charged when you withdraw funds from your account on the cryptocurrency exchange.
Withdrawal fees can also vary depending on the payment method used, as well as the cryptocurrency being withdrawn. Some exchanges even have higher withdrawal fees compared to others due to their high network fees.
3.3 Network Fees:
These are fees charged by the cryptocurrency network itself for processing transactions. The amount of the fee is usually determined by the network at the time of the transaction and can vary depending on network congestion and other factors.
3.4 Conversion Fees:
People who trade between different cryptocurrencies or between cryptocurrency and CAD may be charged a conversion fee. These fees can vary depending on the exchange and the currency being converted.
It’s important to be aware of conversion fees when trading cryptocurrencies, as they can impact the overall profitability of your trades.
It’s also important to compare conversion fees across different exchanges and wallet services to ensure that you are getting the best rate possible
4. Top 10 Best Crypto Exchange Canada
After carefully assessing, I have picked the top 10 Crypto exchanges in Canada.
Kraken is a San Franciso-based cryptocurrency exchange founded in 2011. It allows traders to trade various cryptocurrencies. This exchange allows the participants to buy or sell crypto using only the fiat currencies that include Canadian dollars, U.S. dollars, euros, and the Japanese yen. With a trading volume of $333 million, Kraken is the world’s third-largest cryptocurrency exchange. Kraken allows trades in more than 200 cryptocurrencies.
Kraken, along with other exchanges, has come under regulatory scrutiny due to inadequate enforcement of measures aimed at preventing market manipulation and sanctions violations.
- Range of Cryptocurrencies: Various virtual currencies are available on the Kraken exchange such as Ethereum(ETH), Bitcoin(BTC), Monero(XMR), and non-fungible tokens(NFTs).
- Security: Kraken is known for its strong security measures, including two-factor authentication and encrypted cold storage for customer funds.
- Trading Options: The wide options for trading in Kraken include spot trading, futures trading, and margin trading.
- Kraken also has a mobile app that allows users to trade on the go and stay up-to-date with the latest information on the market.
Founded in 2018, CoinSmart is considered one of the best crypto exchanges in Canada for buying crypto.
Along with supporting Bitcoin and Ethereum, this platform also supports other digital assets such as Litecoin, Bitcoin cash, Dogecoin, USDC, and EOS.
Users use Interac e-transfers, bank wire transfers, credit or debit cards, and SEPA to fund their accounts. The trading fee on CoinSmart is 0.20% excluding the charges that may apply to fiat and cryptocurrency withdrawals.
- User-friendly Interface: known for its user-friendly interface, CoinSmart makes it easy for beginners to understand the platform and begin trading.
- Range of Cryptocurrency: It offers a wide range of cryptocurrencies for trading, including Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash, and many others.
- Fast Transaction: This exchange claims to have one of the fastest transaction processing times compared to other crypto exchanges. This allows users to execute trades quickly.
- Security: Uses cold storage for digital assets and two-factor authentication (2FA).
- Education resources including articles and videos are also provided to the users to learn more about trading.
VirgoCX is a Canadian cryptocurrency exchange that was founded in the year 2018. Apart from offering 60+ coins, VirgoCX is also used to access many services:
- NFT brokerage services
- Foreign Exchange
Funding in VirgoCX is done through e-transfer, wire transfer, and crypto deposit with trading fees ranging from 0.50% to 2.50, while the fiat deposits and withdrawal fees are marked down to zero i.e. they are free.
- Fiat Currency Support: VirgoCX supports trading in several fiat currencies, including Canadian dollars (CAD), US dollars (USD), and euros (EUR).
- Fast Transactions: It offers fast transaction processing times, with deposits and withdrawals usually processed within minutes.
- VirgoCX employs advanced security measures to protect user accounts and funds. This includes multi-factor authentication and cold storage.
- It offers spot trading, margin trading, and over-the-counter trading(OTC) for high-volume traders.
- Customer Support: It has a support team that is available 24/7 to assist users.
- Compliance: VirgoCX is committed to regulatory compliance and has implemented strict KYC and AML procedures to ensure the platform is not used for illegal activities.
VirgoCX has a sign-up bonus of $20 when a user trades $100 worth of crypto assets.
Bitbuy is a Canadian cryptocurrency exchange that was founded in 2013. It is known to be one of the oldest Canadian crypto exchanges. Bitbuy is used by many Canadians to trade over $4 billion in digital assets.
Funding in Bitbuy can be done using Interac e-transfer, crypto deposits, and bank wire, where trading fees are up to $1.50% while the withdrawal fees vary.
- Bitbuy supports trading in Canadian dollars(CAD) and US dollars(USD).
- Bitbuy offers a range of popular cryptocurrencies for trading which includes Bitcoin, Litecoin, Bitcoin cash, and many others.
- Security in Bitbuy is employed through two-factor authentication and cold storage for protecting user accounts and funds.
- Bitbuy also has dedicated customer support which is available to its users 24/7 and helps in assisting them through various issues.
- Fast Transaction: due to the fast processing time, deposits and withdrawals are processed within minutes.
Bitbuy has implemented strict KYC and AML procedures to ensure that the platform is not used for any illegitimate act. It is also registered as a Money Services Business with the Financial and Report Analysis Centre of Canada(FINTRAC).
Coinberry is also a Canadian crypto exchange, which is based in Toronto. This cryptocurrency exchange was founded in 2017 and offers low fees and a simple interface for buying, selling, and trading cryptocurrencies.
It supports 10+ coins, such as Bitcoin cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, and many others, and funding in Coinberry can be done through wire transfer and Interac e-transfer.
While using Coinberry, you can only withdraw specific coins on Coinberry, while others can be only withdrawn as fiat currency.
- Coinberry has a mobile app available on both iOS and Android, which makes trading more accessible for users on the go.
- Coinberry charges competitive trading fees, with a 0.5% trading fee on all trades.
- Coinberry provides customer support via email and live chat to help users with any questions or concerns they may have.
- Coinberry has a strong security system, including 2-factor authentication, SSL encryption, and cold storage for its users’ funds.
Coinberry is a regulated crypto trading platform by the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada(FINTRAC) and is also a member of the Canadian Blockchain Association.
Bitget is a crypto exchange that was founded in Singapore in 2018. It is popular for offering various products and services, like copy trading, margin trading, and spot trading.
To deposit funds in Bidget, one can either directly deposit cryptocurrency or use other payment methods like bank transfers, credit cards, etc.
It also supports more than 40 fiat currencies with low trading fees from 0% to 0.10%.
4.6.1 Copy Trading:
Copy trading is a feature offered by Bitget that allows users to automatically replicate the trades of other successful traders on the platform.
Through Copy trading, a user can choose to follow and copy the trading strategies of other experienced traders, without needing to make their own trading decisions or conduct their market analysis.
The benefit of this feature is that it allows beginner traders to learn from experienced traders and generate profits without the need to have a piece of extensive knowledge in trading.
- Bitget has a wide range of cryptocurrencies which include Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin.
- Bitget has implemented multiple layers of security measures to protect user funds and data. This includes SSL encryption, two-factor authentication, and cold wallet storage for digital assets.
- It offers a range of advanced trading features, including margin trading, leverage trading, and trading indicators such as MACD, RSI, and Bollinger Bands.
- Bitget has a mobile app available on both iOs and Android.
- It provides customer support via email, live chats, and phone.
Bitget is an advanced crypto exchange platform that is reliable and user-friendly and includes a range of trading features for experienced traders.
One of the largest Canadian exchanges, Coinsquare allows users to buy and sell Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other popular cryptocurrencies with CAD. Founded in 2014, Coinsquare is FINTRAC regulated and remains focused on transparency, risk mitigation, and building a safe environment.
Coinsquare has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy for users to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrencies. It is an intuitive and straightforward platform, even for novice users.
- Coinsquare allows users to deposit and withdraw Canadian dollars(CAD) using Interac e-transfer or wire transfer, and charges competitive trading fees, with a 0.1% maker fee and 0.2% taker fee on all trades.
- Coinsquare has implemented various security measures to protect user funds and data, including two-factor authentication, cold storage, and SSL encryption.
- Coinsquare has a mobile app available for both iOS and Android devices, which allows users to trade cryptocurrencies on the go.
- Coinsquare is a regulated exchange in Canada, meaning it is required to comply with certain regulations and laws, including anti-money laundering (AML) and know-your-customer (KYC) regulations.
recently, Coinsquare has launched Coinsquare wealth, which is a service designed to help high-net-worth individuals and investors to gain exposure to the market.
Founded in China in 2017 by Changpeng Zhao, Binance is one of the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchanges. The exchange offers a wide range of trading products, including spot trading, futures trading, and margin trading, for more than 200 cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and Binance Coin.
Binance charges competitive trading fees, with a 0.1% maker fee and a 0.1% taker fee on all trades. Fees can be reduced further by holding Binance Coin (BNB) and using it to pay trading fees.
- Binance has implemented multiple layers of security measures to protect user funds and data, including 2-factor authentication, SSL encryption, and cold wallet storage for user assets.
- It offers a wide range of trading features like margin trading, futures trading as well as options trading. It also provides a variety of order types such as market orders, limit orders, and stop-loss orders.
- Binance Smart Chain: Binance has developed its blockchain which is called the Binance Smart Chain. This blockchain supports the development of decentralized applications(dApps).
- The Binance Smart Chain also provides its users with faster and cheaper transactions.
- Binance has a mobile app available on both iOS and Android, which allows users to trade cryptocurrencies on the go.
- It also allows users to deposit and withdraw fiat currency (USD) using a variety of payment methods, including bank transfer and credit card.
4.8.2 Initial Coin Offering (ICO)
Binance is also well-known for its Initial Coin Offering (ICO) platform, which allows blockchain projects to raise funds by selling their cryptocurrencies to investors. Binance also offers a launchpad platform to raise funds for a project and launch its tokens.
4.8.3 SafeMoon Crypto
SafeMoon Crypto is a cryptocurrency launched by Binance Smart chain using blockchain technology. Want to dig a little deeper into SafeMoon Crypto? We got you covered! Here’s everything you need to know about SafeMoon Crypto.
NDAX stands for Nation Digital Asset Exchange and is one of the best crypto exchanges in Canada. It supports 30+ coins which include, Ether, Bitcoin, Litecoin, EOS, Cardano, The Graph, MATIC, USDC, Polka Dot, and many more.
Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, this exchange was launched in 2018. NDAX is a fully regulated exchange and is compliant with Canadian financial regulations.
- being a fully regulated exchange, NDAX provides a secure and trustworthy platform for traders to buy, sell and trade a wide range of cryptocurrencies.
- It offers low trading fees, with a maker/taker fee structure starting from 0.2%/0.3%.
- NDAX keeps the majority of its users’ funds in cold storage which provides an additional layer of security.
- It provides a mobile app for Android as well as iOS users.
One of the unique features of NDAX is its OTC (Over-The-Counter) trading desk, which allows large traders to buy and sell cryptocurrencies without affecting the public market prices.
Netcoins is yet another cryptocurrency exchange platform that allows its users to sell, buy, and trade cryptocurrency. It is based in Vancouver, Canada, and was launched in 2014.
Netcoins provides various funding methods to its users, including bank transfers, credit cards, debit cards, and fiat currencies, like USD, CSD, EUR, and GBP.
Netcoins is also regulated by the Financial transactions and report Analysis center of Canada(FINTRAC), which ensures compliance of Netcoins with anti-money laundering(AML) and counter-terrorism financing(CTF).
- It supports 30+ digital currencies and has trading fees of 0.50%.
- It provides a simple and easy interface.
- Netcoins has multiple payment options and fast transaction processing time.
- Netcoins also has a responsive customer support team that is made available to users via email, phone, and live chat.
Apart from these crypto exchanges in Canada, there are still a lot of exchanges that are widely used by people. Some of those are:
Newton Crypto exchange: This exchange ranks as one of the best crypto brokerages in Canada.
Wealthsimple Crypto: This exchange is not the cheapest crypto exchange in Canada but is Canada’s first regulated crypto trading platform. This exchange is best for investing if you’re a newbie.
MogoCrypto: This exchange only supports Bitcoin.
5. Cryptocurrency Wallet VS Cryptocurrency Exchange
5.1 Cryptocurrency Wallet:
A cryptocurrency wallet is a digital wallet that stores private and public keys, allowing users to send, receive, and manage their cryptocurrency holdings securely
One cannot buy or sell using a wallet, it only allows for storing digital assets. There are two types of crypto wallets, one is a Hardware wallet and another is a software wallet.
Hardware wallets are the most secure option, as they store keys offline and require physical access to use. Software wallets are more convenient, but potentially less secure, as they store keys on a computer or mobile device.
5.2 Cryptocurrency Exchange
A cryptocurrency exchange is a platform that allows users to buy and sell cryptocurrencies with other users.
Exchanges typically charge a fee for transactions and may offer additional features, such as margin trading, futures trading, and lending.
Exchanges can be either centralized or decentralized depending upon the authority and operation.
Both crypto wallet and crypto exchange are important tools for cryptocurrency users and thus one must choose reputed providers for both while selecting an exchange.
6. A Roadmap To Trade Cryptocurrency in Canada
Trading in Canada is very straightforward and is done with the help of various crypto exchanges. To trade crypto:
Choose Your Preferred Exchange:
while there are numerous crypto exchanges available in Canada, they don’t need to be going to be the right one for you. So Research and compare different Canadian crypto exchanges and find the one that suits your needs.
The major factors which you must keep in mind while selecting a crypto exchange are trading fees, security measures, available cryptocurrencies, and user interface.
Create an Account
Once you’ve decided which crypto exchange platform is suited best for your needs, the very next thing that you need to do is to create an account on that platform by providing your personal information and verifying your identity.
The verification may involve providing your government-issued ID, and other documents.
Funding your account
after creating your account and verifying your identity, start funding your account with Canadian dollars. You can also transfer your existing coins from an external wallet. As we’ve seen above, many trading platforms accept multiple fiat currencies.
Buy or Sell Cryptocurrencies
Once your account is funded, you can start trading. Choose the cryptocurrency you want to buy or sell, enter the amount you wish to trade, and execute the transaction. Be mindful of the exchange’s fees and trading limits.
Manage your account
As with any investment, it’s important to keep an eye on your cryptocurrency holdings and adjust your strategy as needed. Setting up price alerts or stop-loss orders helps to manage future risks.
Keep yourself updated and informed with news and developments in the cryptocurrency industry, as this can have a significant impact on prices and trading volume.
Beware of fake or unreliable resources and rumors.
Apart from this, there are other trading strategies like buying crypto at a crypto ATM or directly trading with someone else using a peer-to-peer crypto service.
As exciting as it seems, it is important to understand that trading cryptocurrencies are risky and volatile, thus it is important to do full-fledged research before investing.
7. Factors to Take Care of When Choosing a Crypto Exchange
Not sure how to select the best crypto exchange for your funds in Canada? let’s get it down to a checklist of 7 features:
- User Interface: If you’re a beginner, you’d want a platform that would be easy to understand and use. Look for exchanges that offer a simple and intuitive platform for buying and selling cryptocurrencies.
- Trading fees: while paying the trading fees, make sure you’ve checked and compared trading fees over different exchanges. You must be aware of how much each of your transaction cost, in case the trading cost is high, it can poorly affect your returns.
- Range of funding options: Look for exchanges that offer a wide variety of coins and tokens to suit your investment goals and make sure that the exchange you’re opting for supports the funding option that suits your demands.
- Security: To ensure the maximum security of your funds and assets, move them to an offline wallet. Confirm that the exchange offers strong security measures, such as two-factor authentication, cold storage for funds, and regular security audits.
- Reputation: Consider the exchange’s reputation in the industry and among other traders. Check and compare reviews, ratings, and feedback from other users before making a decision.
- Regulatory Compliance: Ensure that the exchange is fully compliant with Canadian regulations and has the necessary licenses and approvals. When an exchange is regulated by the Financial transactions and report Analysis center of Canada(FINTRAC), it includes anti-money laundering and KYC regulations.
- Customer support: Check whether the exchange is providing you with 24/7 customer service. Also, check when they are available to respond and provide live responses.
8. Is Crypto Trading allowed in Canada?
Cryptocurrency exchanges are allowed in Canada. They are legal and regulated under the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act (PCMLTFA) and its associated regulations.
In Canada, cryptocurrency exchanges are considered to be “money services businesses” (MSBs) and are subject to the same regulations as other MSBs, including the requirement to register with the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC), establish anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF) programs, and report certain transactions to FINTRAC.
Moreover, some provinces in Canada, such as Quebec and British Columbia, have introduced their regulations regarding cryptocurrency exchanges.
Thus, if you intend to establish a cryptocurrency exchange in Canada or utilize the services of an existing one, it is crucial to conduct thorough research and comply with the applicable regulations.
This will ensure that you are operating lawfully. By doing so, you can help protect yourself, your customers, and your business from legal and financial risks.
9. Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs) About Crypto Exchange Platforms
Here are the most commonly asked queries about crypto and its exchange platforms:
9.1 What is a Cryptocurrency Exchange?
A cryptocurrency exchange is a digital platform that allows users to buy, sell, and trade various cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin.
9.2 Which is the Best Crypto Exchange in Canada?
The best crypto exchange in Canada varies from person to person as it depends on the specific needs and preferences of a trader. Coinberry, NDAX, and Bitbuy are considered to be one of the best crypto exchange platforms available in Canada.
9.3 Can I use Fiat Currency to Buy Cryptocurrencies?
Yes. Many crypto exchanges in Canada allow users to deposit and withdraw fiat currencies, including, USD and CAD.
9.4 Is it Illegal to Use a Crypto Exchange?
Trading in cryptocurrencies is not illegal. moreover, the restrictions that are implied on using a crypto exchange are only done to ensure the safety and security of the user’s fund. The legalities vary by country and jurisdiction.
9.5 How Much Do I Need to Pay to Start Trading?
Trading fees vary by exchange. common fees include transaction fees for buying and selling cryptocurrencies, deposit and withdrawal fees, and trading fees. It is advised to compare trading fees of multiple exchanges before opting for an exchange.
9.6 Are Cryptocurrency Exchanges Safe?
Cryptocurrency exchanges can be safe if proper security measures are in place, such as using two-factor authentication and cold storage wallets.
However, even with these measures, there have been instances of hacks and fraud in the past, which is why you must do your research and use a reputable exchange.
9.7 How Does a Cryptocurrency Exchange Work?
A cryptocurrency exchange works similarly to a stock exchange. Users can create an account, deposit funds, and then place buy or sell orders for various cryptocurrencies. When a match is found, the exchange facilitates the transaction and charges a fee for its services.
9.8 What are the Risks in Trading?
The are numerous associated with selling, buying, and trading cryptocurrencies. Not ensuring proper preventive measures result in scams and fraud.
Cryptocurrencies are known for their volatile nature, as their values keep fluctuating like a wave, unpredictably. This might lead to a huge loss within a few seconds.
It is important to take appropriate precautions before buying or trading cryptocurrencies. This includes conducting thorough research, using reputable exchanges and wallets, and being cautious of scams and fraudulent activities.
Cryptocurrency is a revolutionary technology that has caused havoc in the traditional financial industry. Even though the idea of cryptocurrency has been known to us for the past 10 years but it is still a trending and new topic which keep keeps evolving from time to time.
Trading in cryptocurrency can help individuals gain control over their finances and have transparent transactions.
While there are still many challenges to address and make corrections to, cryptocurrency is still a very dynamic field that has the power to transform the way money is handled, I think it would be only safe to say that the future of cryptocurrency would be as bright as the sun.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings